The Severn Town Club was founded in 1937 as “The Junior Women’s Club of Annapolis and Anne Arundel County,” sponsored by the Women’s Club of Annapolis and Anne Arundel County. During these growing years, there was a Contact Chairman between clubs.
In 1946, we became a Senior Women’s Club and changed our name to the “Severn Town Club”, derived from the beautiful Severn River on whose banks Annapolis is situated.
An application for membership in the Maryland Federation of Women’s Clubs (MFWC) was forwarded for approval with the object: “The object of the club shall be to promote common interests, to inform and develop its members, and to promote the welfare of the community”. The philosophy governing our operations is “The Club shall require no sectarian or political test for membership; shall not be a secret society; and shall not tolerate, either by practice or teaching, violation of national, state or local laws.”
We were notified as of September 17, 1946, that the Severn Town Club was accepted by the Maryland Federation of Women’s Clubs, Inc. (MFWC) as a Senior Club. This also made us a member of the General Federation of Women’s Clubs, Inc., (GFWC) the largest organization of women in the world.
The motto of the General Federation is “Unity in Diversity”, and the Severn Town Club continues to accept and expand upon the opportunities for programs of work as suggested by MFWC and GFWC.
Club membership provides an opportunity to develop a wide variety of interests while participating in volunteer service projects within the community, such as sponsoring the Annual Holly Ball to raise funds for local charities.
The heritage, which this Club enjoys, serves as an inspiration to the members who are genuinely willing to share the tasks. What is past is Prologue… We look forward to the future.